Trump privately considers resuming full-scale military action against Iran as Vance reveals oil-supply strategy

 July 1, 2026, NEWS

President Trump has held classified discussions with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and General Daine Caine about resuming full-scale attacks on Iran, even as Vice President JD Vance publicly acknowledged that the administration's negotiations with Tehran are driven not by a quest for lasting peace but by a hard-nosed calculation to refill global oil stocks.

The Wall Street Journal first reported the classified White House talks, as detailed by the Daily Mail. The conversations centered on what officials described as "finishing the job", a potential return to the kind of sustained military pressure that defined the early phase of the conflict before a ceasefire took hold.

That ceasefire now looks increasingly fragile. Last week Iran launched a swarm of one-way suicide drones at U.S.-backed cargo ships in the Strait of Hormuz. The U.S. military answered by destroying Iranian missile and drone storage sites and radar installations along the Persian Gulf. Over the weekend, back-and-forth fighting over the strait intensified, threatening to unravel whatever diplomatic progress remained.

Vance says the quiet part out loud

Vance's interview on The Michael Knowles Show podcast stripped the diplomatic veneer off the administration's posture. The vice president framed the ongoing memorandum of understanding with Iran as a tool for energy security, not a pathway to a grand bargain.

"I think what the President has told us to do is use this MOU to sort of refill the world's oil economy, to refill some stocks. And then to see where the hand is."

That candor matters. For weeks, U.S. diplomats have publicly demanded that Iran abandon its nuclear ambitions and surrender its stockpile of enriched uranium. Iran, in turn, has pushed for joint control of the Strait of Hormuz and the unfreezing of billions in frozen assets held across the Middle East. Those are maximalist positions on both sides, the kind that rarely survive contact with reality.

Vance's comments suggest the White House knows it. The administration appears to be treating the negotiations as a window to stabilize oil markets, not as a genuine disarmament framework. The vice president described two options Trump is weighing: pursuing "a significant change in Iranian behavior" or "banking our wins", and potentially "doing things on top of that if the president feels that we have to."

That last phrase is the one worth watching. It signals that the classified conversations about resuming full-scale strikes are not academic exercises. They are live options sitting alongside diplomacy on the president's desk.

The Strait of Hormuz problem

The geography tells the story. The Strait of Hormuz carries roughly one-fifth of the world's oil supply through a narrow waterway that Iran has demonstrated it can disrupt with speedboats, drones, and sea mines. Every barrel that doesn't pass through the strait drives prices higher and weakens the global economy. Every drone Iran fires at a cargo ship is a reminder that Tehran holds a chokepoint the world cannot afford to lose.

The administration has responded to each provocation with targeted force. Leavitt, a White House official, put the policy bluntly: "Violence will be met with violence... there were attacks on commercial vessels that the United States of America, directed by the President, responded to." That formula, proportional retaliation, not escalation, has defined the U.S. approach since the pause in hostilities that followed earlier clashes near the strait.

But proportional retaliation has limits. Iran keeps testing them. The drone swarm last week was the latest in a pattern of provocations designed to extract maximum concessions at the bargaining table while keeping the military pressure just below the threshold that would trigger a full American response.

The classified talks suggest Trump may be tiring of that cycle.

Oil, leverage, and the August deadline

An August 18 deadline looms over the negotiations. Trump is reportedly open to extending talks beyond that date if progress is made, a concession that would give Iran more time but also give the administration more room to rebuild oil reserves. Vance's public framing makes clear the White House views the MOU primarily through an energy lens. Refill the stocks, stabilize the price, and then decide whether to press for a comprehensive deal or walk away with whatever gains are in hand.

That calculus is unsentimental, and it reflects a broader truth about the conflict. The war with Iran, whatever its formal designation, has always been as much about oil as about nuclear weapons. The Strait of Hormuz is the hinge. Whoever controls it controls the price of energy for a quarter of the globe. Iran knows this. The White House knows this. Trump himself has publicly tied the conflict's trajectory to market outcomes, predicting a stock market surge as the blockade takes hold.

The Iranian regime, for its part, has warned that any violation of the ceasefire inside Iran would be treated as a violation of the entire agreement. Tehran has promised that the United States and Israel would face the "consequences" of their actions, a threat that carries weight given Iran's demonstrated ability to shut down commercial traffic through the strait.

What the classified talks reveal

The Wall Street Journal's reporting on the Trump-Hegseth-Caine discussions has not been confirmed by the White House. The Daily Mail contacted the White House for comment and received no response. That silence is itself notable. Administrations that want to deny a story usually deny it. Administrations that want to send a signal sometimes let the reporting stand.

Whether the classified talks represent a genuine shift in strategy or a deliberate leak designed to pressure Tehran is an open question. Both explanations are plausible. Trump has used the threat of military escalation as a negotiating tool before, and Iran has responded to previous U.S. strikes by threatening American bases, a pattern of mutual escalation that has so far stopped short of all-out war.

What is clear is that the administration is operating on two tracks simultaneously. On one track, diplomats push for nuclear concessions and negotiate the terms of an oil-supply agreement. On the other, the president and his defense team game out what a full-scale military campaign would look like.

Vance's podcast appearance suggests those tracks are not as separate as the administration might prefer. By publicly describing the negotiations as an oil-refilling exercise rather than a peace process, the vice president undercut the diplomatic framing his own State Department has been selling. That kind of candor can be useful, it tells Iran the White House is not desperate for a deal, but it also narrows the political space for any agreement that falls short of a complete Iranian capitulation.

The stakes ahead

The next several weeks will test whether Trump's two-track approach can hold. Iran has shown no willingness to abandon its nuclear program. The U.S. has shown no willingness to accept anything less. The ceasefire, whose origins and formal terms remain unclear in public reporting, continues to fray with each drone attack and each retaliatory strike.

General Daine Caine's involvement in the classified talks raises its own questions. His full title and command have not been publicly identified in connection with these discussions, and the scope of the military options he presented to the president remains unknown. What is known is that the conversation happened, that it involved the defense secretary, and that the subject was not limited to proportional responses.

The administration's willingness to consider resuming full-scale strikes while simultaneously negotiating an energy deal reflects a cold strategic logic. It also reflects the reality that Iran has not been deterred by targeted retaliation alone. The drone swarms keep coming. The strait keeps getting contested. The oil keeps getting more expensive.

Meanwhile, Vance continues to build his own public profile through appearances like the Knowles podcast, interviews where he speaks with a directness that sometimes outpaces the administration's official messaging. Whether that directness serves the president's strategy or complicates it depends on whether Tehran reads it as strength or as a crack in the façade.

Iran's demands, joint control of the strait, unfreezing of billions in assets, are nonstarters for any American administration that takes national security seriously. The question is whether Trump will use the August 18 deadline to force a resolution, extend the talks to buy more time for oil markets, or conclude that diplomacy has run its course and order the military to finish what it started.

When a president quietly asks his generals what a full-scale campaign looks like, the answer matters less than the fact that he asked.

About Aiden Sutton

Aiden is a conservative political writer with years of experience covering U.S. politics and national affairs. Topics include elections, institutions, culture, and foreign policy. His work prioritizes accountability over ideology.
Copyright © 2026 - CapitalismInstitute.org
A Project of Connell Media.
magnifier