Three days after twin earthquakes leveled entire neighborhoods across northern Venezuela, families huddled over collapsed buildings are reporting something that keeps them digging: the sound of their relatives groaning beneath tons of concrete. The death toll stood at 1,430 on Saturday, with roughly 50,000 people still missing and time running out for anyone trapped alive.
The 7.2- and 7.5-magnitude quakes struck 39 seconds apart on Wednesday, a one-two combination that The Sun reported was the most powerful seismic event to hit the region in a century. The coastal area of La Guaira, just north of Caracas, bore the worst of it. Satellite imagery showed several districts effectively obliterated. Hundreds of buildings collapsed. The U.S. Geological Survey estimated the true death count could reach as many as 10,000.
And beneath the wreckage, people are still alive, or were, as recently as Saturday.
Carlos Eduardo, 31, was trapped under a collapsed structure in the disaster zone. His cousin, speaking to BBC News, described the agonizing cycle of hope and silence that has defined the past three days.
"We started calling him: Carlos, Carlos, son... And then he made a sound. That was about an hour and a half ago. Since then, we haven't heard anything from him, he hasn't spoken again or given any sign of life."
The cousin said Carlos Eduardo had done this before, groaning in response to calls, then going silent for hours. The day before, the same pattern played out. The family waited, unable to move the debris themselves.
"And so here we are, waiting for help, hoping we can get him out alive."
Whether help arrived in time was still unknown as of Saturday. Rescue workers, soldiers, and Mexican volunteers were described repeatedly calling for silence at dig sites to listen for signs of life. The critical survival window, generally 48 to 72 hours, was closing fast.
The United States moved quickly. The U.S. dispatched a disaster response team of more than 250 personnel, including specialist units with search dogs. Delcy Rodríguez, described as Venezuela's leader, stated she had spoken with President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who she said "reaffirmed their commitment to supporting the response efforts."
International rescue teams from Mexico, Spain, the U.S., and the UK arrived to join the effort. The New York Post reported that 21 international aid delegations comprising 2,000 workers, 96 search-and-rescue dogs, 40 cargo vehicles, and three metric tons of medicine had reached Venezuela since Wednesday. Loyce Pace, the Red Cross Director for the Americas, described the situation on the ground as precarious.
"People want to get back home, they want to feel safe again and yet there's some insecurity to their infrastructure, these buildings that are literally falling down so we have to be quite careful in the weeks ahead."
Pace also noted that rolling aftershocks were complicating operations, telling the Post that tremors struck "every time we're on a phone with my team down there."
The scale of the disaster extends well beyond the confirmed dead. The UN reported more than 3,360 wounded. The UN migration agency estimated that up to 6.76 million people could be affected and require emergency shelter, safe water, sanitation, healthcare, and relief supplies. Breitbart reported the UN estimated $6.7 billion in physical damage, equivalent to six percent of Venezuela's GDP.
That figure lands on a country already hollowed out by years of socialist mismanagement and economic collapse, a reality that preceded the quakes and will shape every phase of the recovery.
Not everyone on the ground believed the Venezuelan government was doing enough. When Delcy Rodríguez visited a tremor-struck neighborhood, residents heckled her. "The government isn't doing anything for the people!" locals shouted, according to witness accounts.
The twin earthquakes that devastated Venezuela on Wednesday exposed fault lines that go deeper than geology. Locals alleged the government mobilized too slowly. Newsmax reported that frustrated volunteers were being held back by bureaucratic requirements even as survivors remained buried. Carlos Itriago, a 27-year-old volunteer, captured the absurdity: "You need a permit to save lives, just imagine."
Jorge Rodríguez, president of Venezuela's National Assembly, struck a different tone in his public remarks, pledging transparency. "We will not hide anything about the scale of this tragedy," he said. He also called each rescue "a miracle", a word that, given the scale of the catastrophe, carried more weight than the usual political rhetoric.
On Friday, rescuers in La Guaira pulled a baby alive from the wreckage. A video circulating on social media showed a man welling up in tears as he held the infant. Delcy Rodríguez responded to news of an 11-year-old boy rescued from rubble by saying, "Every life is a source of hope for Venezuela."
The earthquakes did not discriminate. Former MLB outfielder Gorkys Hernández confirmed that his wife, Deisy Tovar de Hernández, was killed. Hernández posted a tribute on Instagram that read: "You are and always will be the queen of my life, the most beautiful, lovely, and precious woman in the world."
Argentine soccer player Lucas Trejo endured a 74-hour search for his wife and children. It ended in the worst possible way, all were confirmed dead.
The New York Post reported that three young soccer players were among the dead, including 18-year-old Yimvert Berroteran, who played for Venezuela's Under-20 national team. These were not abstract statistics. They were people with names, families, and futures.
Omar Reyes, who lost approximately 20 family members, told Newsmax simply: "I've been left alone in this life." The disaster's toll on individual families may never be fully catalogued, given the staggering number of missing.
The displacement crisis triggered by these earthquakes will inevitably raise questions about Temporary Protected Status policies and the broader immigration pressures that natural disasters in the Western Hemisphere place on the United States. With millions of Venezuelans potentially affected, the policy debates that follow will test whether Washington can balance compassion with the rule of law.
Venezuela was not a functioning state before the ground shook. Decades of socialist governance under Hugo Chávez and Nicolás Maduro stripped the country of its institutional capacity, drove millions into exile, and left infrastructure crumbling long before the earthquakes finished the job. The political instability that followed the U.S.-backed ouster of Maduro only compounded the dysfunction.
That context matters. A 7.5-magnitude earthquake is catastrophic anywhere. But it is especially devastating in a country where building codes were poorly enforced, where government agencies were staffed for loyalty rather than competence, and where the economic base had already been gutted by ideological mismanagement. The $6.7 billion damage estimate, six percent of GDP, falls on an economy that was already in freefall.
The frustration voiced by ordinary Venezuelans at the government's slow mobilization is not surprising. It is the predictable result of years of institutional decay. When residents have to shout at their own leader that the government "isn't doing anything for the people," the earthquake is only the latest chapter in a longer failure.
Meanwhile, the question of whether local officials in the United States will defy federal immigration rulings to extend protections for displaced populations will likely resurface as the Venezuelan crisis deepens.
Several critical questions remain open. The source of the 1,430 death toll figure, whether it comes from the Venezuelan government, the UN, or another body, has not been clearly specified. The USGS estimate of up to 10,000 dead suggests the confirmed count may be a fraction of the real number, particularly with 50,000 people still unaccounted for.
Carlos Eduardo's fate, whether he was pulled out alive or died beneath the rubble while his family waited for help, remained unknown at the time of reporting. His story, and thousands like it, will define whether this disaster is remembered as a tragedy met with adequate response or one compounded by governmental failure.
The images coming out of Venezuela, collapsed apartment blocks, rescuers sifting through debris by hand, firefighters searching for their own family members, tell a story that statistics alone cannot capture. National Review's photo gallery documented a firefighter named Juan Carlos Gomez digging through the rubble of a La Guaira building, searching for his sister and nephew.
The American response, 250-plus personnel, specialist dogs, and direct engagement between President Trump, Secretary Rubio, and Venezuelan leadership, reflects the kind of serious, immediate action that natural disasters demand. Whether Venezuela's own government can match that urgency remains an open and deeply consequential question.
When a country's citizens have to beg their government for a permit to dig their neighbors out of the rubble, the earthquake is not the only disaster worth examining.