Two boys, ages 7 and 12, were found dead inside a south Ottawa residence Monday morning after police conducted a welfare check, and their father was later discovered dead at a separate scene roughly an hour away. Ottawa Police Superintendent Jamie Dunlop told reporters the department believes the case is a double homicide-suicide.
The names of all three have not been released. The boys' parents were divorced. Police say the investigation stretches across three locations in eastern Ontario and remains, in the department's own words, "active and complex."
What makes this case especially unsettling, beyond the obvious, is that Ottawa police had already responded to "several calls" involving the children over the weekend before anyone knocked on the door Monday and got no answer. That timeline raises hard questions about whether earlier intervention could have changed the outcome.
At approximately 10 a.m. local time on Monday, June 29, officers arrived at a home in south Ottawa after a third party requested a wellness check. Dunlop told reporters the individual "had a reason to go by the home to check on the condition of the house, was concerned when nobody answered the door, and contacted police to come and do a wellness check." That person was not the boys' mother.
Inside, officers found the two brothers dead. Police have not disclosed how they died.
Earlier that same day, a business in the small town of Iroquois, Ontario, about 100 kilometers south of Ottawa, was found ablaze. Separately, a vehicle fire at a carpool lot in Kemptville, another eastern Ontario community, led to the discovery of the boys' father, also dead. The Ontario Provincial Police are holding both of those scenes and believe they are connected to the deaths in Ottawa.
The OPP did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Dunlop acknowledged that Ottawa police had fielded multiple calls involving the children during the weekend before the welfare check. He did not specify the nature of those calls, whether they involved domestic disputes, custody concerns, or something else entirely. He also said the father did not have "great contact" with police prior to this incident, a description vague enough to leave the public guessing.
The gap between those weekend calls and Monday's discovery is the most troubling element in the known timeline. If officers were already aware of trouble in that household, the question of what action they took, or didn't, will hang over this investigation until it is answered clearly.
Dunlop addressed the emotional weight of the case at a news conference:
"Obviously it's a very tragic incident for the families, the friends, the neighbours. Certainly, when children are involved, it's extra difficult to understand."
The geographic spread of the case is unusual. A home in south Ottawa. A burning business in Iroquois. A vehicle fire at a Kemptville carpool lot. Police have not explained the confirmed links between all three locations, and they have not said whether either fire was set deliberately or by whom.
The sequence matters, too. The business fire was described as occurring "earlier that day," and the vehicle fire apparently came later, but how each event fits around the 10 a.m. welfare check remains partially unclear from what authorities have shared so far.
Ottawa Police issued a written statement emphasizing the sensitivity of the case:
"The deaths of two young children are an unimaginable tragedy, and our thoughts are with their loved ones, classmates, neighbors, and everyone affected by this heartbreaking loss. We understand that incidents like this deeply impact the community and raise many questions. This remains an active and complex investigation, and we are working closely with our policing partners to understand the full circumstances."
Ottawa Mayor Mark Sutcliffe posted his response on X, calling it "a very difficult day for our community."
"I'm shocked and heartbroken to learn of the tragic deaths of two children in the south end of our city. There are no words to describe this immeasurable loss, my thoughts are with everyone grieving today, especially the family and their close friends."
Sutcliffe urged anyone struggling with the news to seek support. Police echoed that message, encouraging residents to reach out to "family, friends, community resources, or professional services."
Authorities confirmed that other children "associated" with the family are "all in good care." Investigators are conducting interviews with the boys' mother and other relatives.
Police have not released the cause or manner of death for any of the three. They have not explained what the weekend calls were about. They have not identified who set the fires, if anyone did, or what the Iroquois business had to do with the family. They have not named the person who requested the welfare check or described that individual's relationship to the household.
Every one of those gaps matters. In cases involving children, the public has a right to know whether systems meant to protect them functioned or failed. Condolences from officials are appropriate. But condolences without accountability are just words.
Two boys, 7 and 12, are dead. Their father is dead. And somewhere in the space between "several calls" over the weekend and a welfare check Monday morning, something went catastrophically wrong. The families and the public deserve to know exactly what.