Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan have agreed to stay at royal residences during a planned trip to England next month, the first time the couple will set foot in the United Kingdom together in nearly four years. But even as they accept the king's hospitality, the Sussexes are publicly airing grievances about the security arrangements they believe they deserve.
The couple, who stepped back from senior royal duties in 2020 and moved to California, plan to bring their two children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, to England from July 7 to 11, USA TODAY reported. A representative for the Sussexes confirmed the family will use "a mixture of both royal residences and private accommodations" during the visit.
The specific royal properties were not named. Neither were the private lodgings. And Sussex representatives declined to say whether Harry and Meghan plan to meet King Charles III or any other members of the royal family while in England.
The timeline tells its own story. Harry, now 41, and Meghan, 44, walked away from their roles as working royals six years ago. By February 2021, they had formally surrendered their royal patronages and honorary military appointments after a review of their departure agreement. Harry gave up his patronages of the Rugby Football Union and Rugby Football League. Meghan surrendered her patronage of the Royal National Theatre, a role Queen Elizabeth II had personally handed down to her.
They launched media ventures from California, including Archewell Productions and Meghan's lifestyle brand, As Ever. Harry lost his taxpayer-funded security after stepping back from royal duties.
Then, in May 2025, Harry lost an appeal in a U.K. court over the level of security he and his family are entitled to while in Britain. The court sided against him.
The last time the couple appeared together in the UK was September 2022, for the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II, which marked the end of her 70-year reign. That was nearly four years ago. Harry has previously said that concerns about his family's safety prevented him from bringing Meghan and the children back.
Even while confirming that they accepted the king's accommodation offer, Sussex representatives used the announcement to take a public shot at the UK's security apparatus. Their statement, shared with USA TODAY in a news release, focused on what they described as a failure by RAVEC, the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures, to conduct a required security assessment for the visit.
The Sussex team said they had given RAVEC six months' notice of the trip and received assurances that a risk management board, or RMB, would be completed by March. It was not.
Their statement put it bluntly:
"According to RAVEC's own Terms of Reference, and in accordance with good governance, an RMB should be conducted annually at a minimum; the Duke's last RMB was nearly seven years ago."
Buckingham Palace did not respond to USA TODAY's request for comment. RAVEC has not publicly addressed the Sussex team's claims.
The pattern is familiar. Harry and Meghan left the institution, relinquished their duties, and relocated across the Atlantic. Yet they continue to press for the institutional protections, and, now, the institutional accommodations, that come with the roles they chose to abandon. King Charles has been busy on the world stage, including a recent address to Congress during his State Visit to Washington. Whether he has the patience to manage this particular family drama alongside affairs of state remains an open question.
The Sussex representatives confirmed that Archie and Lilibet will accompany their parents to England. Neither child will make any public appearances during the five-day trip.
That detail is worth pausing on. The children have spent virtually their entire lives in California. Lilibet was born there. Archie was an infant when the family left. Their return to England, however private, represents a significant moment for the monarchy, even if it unfolds behind closed doors.
No purpose or occasion for the visit has been publicly stated. The Sussex team did not explain why the family is traveling to England, and no official royal calendar events have been linked to the trip in the available reporting.
King Charles has spoken eloquently about Britain's traditions and values on the international stage. How those values apply to a grandson and great-grandchildren who live an ocean away, and whose parents publicly criticize the institution, is a question the monarchy has yet to answer clearly.
Several questions hang over the planned visit. What security arrangements will actually be in place, given that the RAVEC assessment has apparently not been completed? Will Harry and Meghan meet privately with the king? Will there be any interaction with other senior royals?
The Sussex representatives' refusal to comment on whether a meeting with Charles is planned is itself telling. Either the answer is no, which would make the use of royal residences an awkward arrangement, or the answer is yes, and the couple prefers to control the announcement on their own terms.
The recent State Visit to Washington showed a monarchy capable of warmth, ceremony, and diplomatic purpose. The Sussex visit to England, by contrast, arrives wrapped in grievance and strategic ambiguity.
There is also the matter of what Harry and Meghan have built, or not built, since leaving. Archewell Productions and As Ever are commercial ventures, not public service. The couple traded duty for autonomy. That is their right. But the continued expectation of royal security, royal lodging, and royal attention sits uneasily alongside that choice.
The British monarchy's internal tensions are hardly new. But the Sussexes have turned theirs into a public-facing brand, one that depends on proximity to the institution they left, and on the grievances they carry about how that institution treated them.
What the Sussexes want from this visit is unclear. What they want from the monarchy, however, has been consistent for six years: the benefits of membership without the obligations. Royal residences without royal duties. Security reviews without taxpayer-funded security. Public sympathy without public accountability.
King Charles has shown he can command a room, from Westminster to Capitol Hill. Whether he can command his own family's respect for the bargain they struck in 2020 is another matter entirely.
You can leave the firm. You can move to Montecito. But you cannot leave and then complain that the door doesn't open wide enough when you come back.