Federal judge sends Nancy Guthrie ransom hoaxer to inpatient treatment ahead of sentencing

 July 9, 2026, NEWS

A federal judge has ordered the California man who sent fake ransom messages to the family of missing 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie into inpatient substance abuse treatment while he awaits sentencing, a move that raises fresh questions about accountability in a case that has dragged on for months with no resolution.

U.S. District Judge John C. Hinderaker amended the release conditions for Derrick Anthony Callella, 42, requiring him to reside at an inpatient substance-use treatment facility or halfway house, comply with all program requirements, and contribute toward the cost of his own treatment as directed by the U.S. Pretrial Services Division. If Callella fails to comply, the U.S. Marshals Service is authorized to remove him from the program and place him in temporary custody, Fox News Digital reported.

Callella's sentencing is scheduled for September 10. He faces up to two years in prison on each of two counts of harassment using a telecommunications device, fines of up to $250,000 per count, and up to one year of supervised release.

A fraud born from a family's worst nightmare

Nancy Guthrie, the mother of NBC "Today" co-host Savannah Guthrie, was reported missing from her Catalina Foothills home outside Tucson, Arizona, on February 1. The day after her disappearance, local media outlets received ransom demands that the FBI continues to examine as potentially legitimate.

Callella had nothing to do with those initial demands. His scheme came separately. He used a spoofed Voice over Internet Protocol account, linked to an email address registered in his own name, to send fraudulent ransom messages to Nancy Guthrie's daughter Annie Guthrie and her son-in-law Tommaso Cioni. The texts demanded bitcoin. One message, included in his plea agreement, read: "Did you get the bitcoin? We're waiting on our end for the transaction."

Federal investigators traced the VoIP account back to Callella. After waiving his Miranda rights, he admitted to sending the texts. He told investigators he had obtained the family's contact information from a website while following television coverage of the disappearance.

The U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Arizona stated that Callella "acknowledged that he knew an earlier ransom demand had been made" and "admitted that his actions were meant to harass the family by seeking information about the investigation into the missing person's disappearance."

That detail deserves emphasis. Callella knew a real ransom demand was already in play. He inserted himself into a family's agony, not to collect money, prosecutors said, but to see whether the family would respond and to fish for details about the investigation.

Probation, not prison, appears likely

Despite the statutory maximum of two years per count and $250,000 in fines, the plea agreement appears to contemplate a far lighter outcome. Breitbart reported that the deal calls for probation rather than prison time. Just The News reported Callella will receive 10 years of probation at sentencing and was ordered to report to a residential addiction treatment facility.

The gap between the maximum penalty and the expected sentence tells its own story. A man who deliberately targeted a grieving family during a kidnapping investigation, spoofing phone numbers, demanding cryptocurrency, and exploiting public coverage of a missing elderly woman, may walk away without spending a day behind bars beyond his initial arrest.

Fox News Digital reached out to the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Arizona seeking additional information about why the court modified Callella's release conditions. No response was noted. The reason the judge ordered inpatient treatment remains unexplained in public filings described so far, though the amended conditions themselves suggest substance abuse played some role in Callella's conduct.

As we previously reported, the prospect of probation for Callella has drawn attention to whether the federal system treats this kind of predatory harassment with sufficient seriousness.

The real kidnapping remains unsolved

Callella's prosecution is the only criminal case to emerge from the Nancy Guthrie disappearance, and it has nothing to do with whoever actually took her.

The FBI confirmed that Callella was not responsible for the earlier ransom demand sent to local media outlets the day after Guthrie vanished. That demand, and potentially others, remain under active investigation. The bureau continues to treat Guthrie's disappearance as a kidnapping-for-ransom case.

National Review detailed a disturbing investigative picture: recovered Nest doorbell camera footage showed a masked individual with a backpack and an apparent holstered weapon attempting to disable the camera at 1:47 a.m. on February 1. Bloodstain pattern analysis suggested Guthrie suffered a bloody nose or similar injury, with a continuous drip trail indicating a bleeding individual was present. Ransom demands totaling up to $6 million in bitcoin were sent to multiple media outlets, including KOLD-TV, KGUN, and TMZ, with deadlines that passed without payment.

FBI Phoenix Division Special Agent in Charge Heath Yonke said at the time: "We are aware of a ransom letter that was sent to the local media and then to national outlets. As with every lead, we are taking it seriously."

Five months later, the bureau's posture on those ransom notes remains cautious. The FBI has hedged on whether the notes came from the actual kidnapper, and outside analysts have questioned the bureau's approach.

The New York Post reported that some of the ransom notes contained unverified but suspiciously accurate details, a fact that keeps the investigation from being dismissed as a series of hoaxes. Sorting the real from the fraudulent has consumed investigative resources, and Callella's admitted fakery only complicated the picture.

Opportunism and its cost

What Callella did was not a prank. It was a calculated act by someone who watched a kidnapping unfold on television, looked up a family's private contact information, spoofed a phone number to disguise his identity, and sent messages designed to mimic a real ransom demand, all while an 84-year-old woman remained missing and her family waited in fear.

The case illustrates a growing problem in high-profile investigations. When crimes attract intense media coverage, they also attract opportunists who exploit the chaos. Every fraudulent lead burns investigative hours. Every fake ransom note forces agents to divert resources from the real case. And every hoax inflicts additional trauma on families already enduring the worst experience of their lives.

The Nancy Guthrie kidnapping case has ground on for five months with no arrests in the actual abduction. Meanwhile, the one person who has been caught and prosecuted, a man who confessed to harassing the victim's family, appears headed for probation.

That outcome may satisfy the letter of the plea agreement. Whether it satisfies justice is another question entirely.

The authenticity of the remaining ransom notes is still being debated by investigators and outside analysts. Nancy Guthrie is still missing. Her family is still waiting. And the man who chose to make their ordeal worse is headed to a treatment facility, not a prison cell.

When the system treats predatory cruelty as a substance abuse problem, it sends a message, just not the one a grieving family deserves to hear.

About Aiden Sutton

Aiden is a conservative political writer with years of experience covering U.S. politics and national affairs. Topics include elections, institutions, culture, and foreign policy. His work prioritizes accountability over ideology.
Copyright © 2026 - CapitalismInstitute.org
A Project of Connell Media.
magnifier