Harvey Marcelin, an 87-year-old twice-convicted killer who was released on parole in 2019, will spend the rest of his life behind bars after a Brooklyn court sentenced him to life without parole for the murder and dismemberment of 68-year-old Susan Leyden in East New York.
The sentence, handed down on a Wednesday following a jury conviction last month on charges of first-degree murder, tampering with physical evidence, and concealment of a human corpse, closes one chapter of a case that lays bare a catastrophic failure of New York's parole system. Marcelin had already killed two women before the state let him walk free.
Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez issued a statement after the sentencing, as BK Reader reported:
"The brutality of this shocking crime is almost beyond words. This defendant committed a horrific murder that took Susan Leyden's life and inflicted unimaginable pain on her family and loved ones."
That much is certain. What demands scrutiny is the chain of decisions that put Marcelin back on the streets in the first place, and the institutional indifference that followed.
The evidence at trial painted a grim picture. Surveillance footage from February 27, 2022, showed Leyden, a Clinton Hill resident, entering Marcelin's apartment on Pennsylvania Avenue in East New York. Prosecutors said she was never seen leaving alive.
Around the time of Leyden's disappearance, surveillance video captured Marcelin purchasing a saw and cleaning supplies at a Manhattan Home Depot. Fox News reported that Marcelin and another woman bought the saw, trash bags, and cleaning fluid on March 1, two days before the body was discovered.
On March 2, cameras recorded Marcelin rolling a wheeled shopping bag containing a black plastic bag. By the early morning hours of March 3, the victim's torso was discovered inside that bag. Police then searched Marcelin's apartment and found Leyden's head, limbs, blood, cleaning supplies, a hammer, and the box from an electric saw.
On March 7, one of the victim's legs turned up near a garbage can roughly three blocks from the apartment.
The Medical Examiner determined Leyden suffered blunt force trauma to the head and other physical injuries. The New York Post reported that Marcelin bludgeoned Leyden and used a reciprocating saw to dismember her body at the Cypress Hills apartment.
Fox News detailed another chilling piece of evidence: NYPD Chief of Detectives James Essig said surveillance footage captured Marcelin riding a motorized wheelchair inside a store while sitting on the victim's severed leg.
"The bottom from the leg, the leg from the knee down, she was sitting on."
Essig called it "a gruesome and barbaric homicide which resulted in a headless torso being disposed of on a New York City corner."
The most damning facts in this case have nothing to do with the trial. They have to do with why Harvey Marcelin was free to kill again.
Marcelin was first convicted of murder in 1963 for killing a girlfriend. After serving time, he was released, and in 1985, fatally stabbed another girlfriend, discarding her body in a plastic bag. The Associated Press reported that Marcelin was convicted of manslaughter in that second killing and spent decades in prison afterward. His parole requests were repeatedly denied over a span of roughly 30 years.
Then, in August 2019, the state paroled him anyway.
Former NYPD officer and ABC News contributor Robert Boyce put it plainly, as Breitbart reported:
"He dismembers the body and puts it out on the street not far from where he lives. I don't care how old he is, if it was compassionate release because of his age. He's still dangerous."
Marcelin had spent more than 50 years in state prison across both sentences. The New York Post noted that he had a criminal history stretching back to age 14, including attempted rape. And yet the parole board looked at this record and decided the public was safe.
The failures did not stop at parole. After release, Marcelin, a biological male who identifies as a transgender woman, was placed in a women's homeless shelter in the Bronx. That is where Marcelin and Leyden first crossed paths in 2019.
National Review highlighted that a nurse practitioner named Anne Brennan raised explicit objections to the placement, citing Marcelin's documented history of killing women. Her supervisors overruled her.
"Apparently his feelings and identity were far more important than all the other women that were terrified of him."
New York City's Department of Social Services defended the decision. Spokeswoman Julia Savel told reporters the policy, "in accordance with the law", places individuals in shelters based on their reported gender identity, adding that "being homeless or transgender does not make you inherently violent."
No one argued that being transgender makes a person violent. The argument was that a twice-convicted killer of women, with a criminal record stretching back more than half a century, should not have been housed with women. Shelter staff saw the danger. The bureaucracy chose ideology over safety.
Prosecutors have not publicly detailed the nature of the relationship between Marcelin and Leyden beyond the fact that they lived in the same Bronx shelter in 2019. What drew Leyden to Marcelin's East New York apartment three years later is not explained in the public record.
Nor has any motive been established. The DA's office has not stated why Marcelin killed Leyden. The gap matters, but the outcome does not change. A 68-year-old woman walked into an apartment and never walked out.
Several questions remain unanswered. What specific factors led the parole board to reverse course after denying Marcelin's release for three decades? Was the electric saw itself recovered, or only its box? Were any other individuals investigated in connection with the case? The public record, as it stands, does not say.
Harvey Marcelin killed a woman in 1963. He killed another in 1985. He told officials he had "problems" with women. Parole boards denied his release for 30 years running, and then, in 2019, someone said yes.
After that, city officials placed him in a women's shelter over the direct objections of staff who understood the risk. A nurse practitioner flagged the danger in plain language. She was overruled.
Susan Leyden, 68, of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, is dead. Her body was sawed apart in an East New York apartment and scattered across the neighborhood in plastic bags.
The jury did its job. The judge did his. Marcelin will die in prison. But the parole board members who released him, and the bureaucrats who housed him with vulnerable women, face no consequences at all.
Accountability, in New York, still flows in only one direction, toward the people who had no say in any of it.