Mark McCloskey reclaims AR-15 after five-year legal fight stemming from 2020 BLM confrontation

 June 28, 2026, NEWS

Mark McCloskey walked into a police department, picked up his AR-15, and walked out, nearly five years after the state seized it. The St. Louis attorney and his wife Patricia became the most recognizable faces of the 2020 self-defense debate when they emerged from their home armed as Black Lives Matter demonstrators marched past on a private, gated street. What followed was not a vindication but a grinding legal odyssey: criminal charges from a progressive prosecutor, guilty pleas to misdemeanors, a gubernatorial pardon, expungement, and 1,847 days of litigation just to get a rifle back.

The saga, detailed in a Fox News Digital retrospective, reads like a case study in what happens when ideological prosecution meets a citizen who refuses to quit. It also raises a question that should trouble every lawful gun owner in America: If a pardoned, expunged citizen needs three lawsuits and two appellate court trips to recover a single firearm, what does that say about the system?

The night that changed everything

On June 28, 2020, a crowd of demonstrators marched through Portland Place, a private, gated street in St. Louis, headed toward the home of then-Mayor Lyda Krewson. Mark McCloskey came out carrying an AR-15-style rifle. Patricia McCloskey held a handgun. The images went viral within hours, splitting the country along familiar fault lines: one side saw reckless aggression, the other saw homeowners standing their ground.

Then-St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner charged both McCloskeys with unlawful use of a weapon. The prosecution drew immediate pushback from then-Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt, who sought to intervene. Schmitt described the case as "the justice system being weaponized against law-abiding Missourians."

What came next made the prosecution look worse. National Review reported that Patricia McCloskey's handgun had been inoperable at the time she held it outside the home. The couple had intentionally rendered the pistol nonfunctional to use as a courtroom prop in a separate case against a gun manufacturer. Under Missouri law, an inoperable firearm would have undermined the weapons charge. Yet assistant circuit attorney Chris Hinckley ordered crime lab technicians to reassemble the gun into working condition before the lab attested it was "readily capable of lethal use" in charging documents.

Attorney Joe Schwartz called the move what it was. "It's disheartening to learn that a law enforcement agency altered evidence in order to prosecute an innocent member of the community," he said.

Guilty pleas, pardons, and a record wiped clean

The McCloskeys pleaded guilty to misdemeanor offenses in 2021. AP News reported that Mark McCloskey's plea was to misdemeanor assault. Then-Governor Mike Parson pardoned both shortly after.

But a pardon did not settle the matter. The couple still had convictions on their records, and the city still had their guns. Judge Joseph P. Whyte eventually expunged the McCloskeys' misdemeanor convictions, citing Missouri's expungement framework as a mechanism for giving rehabilitated individuals a second chance. City prosecutors and police opposed the expungements. The Missouri Court of Appeals affirmed the ruling.

Under Missouri law, expungement effectively treats the convictions as though they never occurred. That legal reality, however, did not translate into the prompt return of seized property. McCloskey demanded his firearms back. The city resisted. "It's time for the city to cough up my guns," McCloskey said at the time, threatening a lawsuit.

He did not threaten once. He filed three times, and went to the appellate court twice, before the AR-15 was finally released. The broader debate over Second Amendment rights and the limits of government authority over lawful gun owners has only intensified in the years since.

'You have to let them know you will never back down'

McCloskey announced the rifle's return on X, posting a video of himself collecting it from the police department. "It only took 3 lawsuits, 2 trips to the Court of Appeals and 1,847 days, but I got my AR15 back!" he wrote. He added: "We defended our home, were persecuted by the left, smeared by the press, and threatened with death, but we never backed down."

In an interview with Fox News Digital, he framed the fight in blunt terms:

"That gun may have only been worth $1,500 or something, and it cost me a lot of time and a lot of effort to get it back, but you have to do that. You have to let them know that you will never back down, you'll never give up."

Patricia McCloskey's Bryco.380-caliber pistol, the same firearm prosecutors had reassembled to make their case, was expected to follow. Newsmax reported the pistol was held by the St. Louis Sheriff's Department and was anticipated to be returned within a week. McCloskey told Fox News Digital the pistol came back roughly 60 days after the AR-15.

The personal cost

The legal vindication came at a steep price. McCloskey told Fox News Digital his law practice was gutted. "Our business was relatively destroyed," he said. "If you Googled the McCloskey Law Center for two years after that event or longer, it said 'permanently closed.' If you Google my name right now it still says Mark McCloskey is a former personal injury lawyer. Nobody told me I retired."

He described ongoing death threats and hate mail. The couple's 2020 confrontation made them conservative folk heroes, McCloskey spoke at the 2020 Republican National Convention and launched a U.S. Senate bid in Missouri in 2022, but it also made them permanent targets.

The pattern is familiar. When political confrontations between citizens and authorities escalate, the individuals who stand their ground often pay a lasting personal and professional toll, regardless of how the legal system ultimately rules.

McCloskey has since taken on a new legal cause, representing what the St. Louis Post-Dispatch described as hundreds of defendants charged in connection with the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot. He briefly stepped away from that work earlier this year after receiving a medical diagnosis he described as "an incurable, always-fatal disease," but returned after the Justice Department announced plans for what it called an "Anti-Weaponization Fund", described as a mechanism that supporters say could compensate individuals they believe were unfairly prosecuted.

The prosecutor's record

Kim Gardner's handling of the McCloskey case did not age well. Now-Senator Eric Schmitt, who fought the prosecution as attorney general, offered Fox News Digital a withering assessment of the broader pattern:

"As rioters razed St. Louis, activist prosecutors like Kim Gardner chose to go after law-abiding citizens like the McCloskeys, not the looters and criminals destroying our cities. Unfortunately, the McCloskey case became the rule, not the exception. As violent crimes skyrocketed, progressive prosecutors like Gardner targeted conservatives in an obvious attempt to beef up liberal bona fides and advance partisan agendas instead of upholding the letter of the law."

Fox News Digital reached out to Gardner's attorney for comment. No response was included in the reporting.

Attorney Al Watkins, who represented the McCloskeys during the early stages of the controversy, pointed to a deeper institutional failure. "The precipitating event was not the protest," Watkins told Fox News Digital. "It was the decision by local powers that be to mandate that local law enforcement be strictly 'hands off' protesters, regardless of their acts."

That hands-off posture, a hallmark of the summer of 2020 in cities across the country, left homeowners to fend for themselves and then punished them for doing so. The debate over when and how property owners may use force to defend their homes continues in state legislatures; Tennessee recently advanced legislation expanding property owners' right to use deadly force.

A voice, at a cost

Watkins offered a note of cautious hope for his former clients. "I am hopeful they can live out their lives without again being demonized, victimized or prosecuted for protecting their American dream," he said. He also warned against repeating the rush to judgment: "Mr. and Mrs. McCloskey were immediately, incorrectly and unfairly labeled as racially motivated members of a privileged class."

McCloskey, for his part, sees the ordeal as something more than a five-year nightmare. "It has given us a voice that we would not otherwise have," he told Fox News Digital. "I still speak around the country on constitutional rights in the First Amendment and the Second Amendment."

He acknowledged "some lingering negatives" but returned to the same theme: "Overall, once again, it has given us an opportunity to spread the word."

Breitbart noted that police had originally seized the rifle less than a month after the June 28, 2020, incident. It took the state weeks to take the gun. It took the McCloskeys years to get it back.

And that, in the end, is the lesson. A government that can seize a lawful citizen's property in days but requires half a decade of litigation to return it is not a government that respects the rights it claims to protect.

About Aiden Sutton

Aiden is a conservative political writer with years of experience covering U.S. politics and national affairs. Topics include elections, institutions, culture, and foreign policy. His work prioritizes accountability over ideology.
Copyright © 2026 - CapitalismInstitute.org
A Project of Connell Media.
magnifier